Working with high risk participants requires specialized skills, knowledge, and the ability to work effectively with the most vulnerable WIC participants. This two-day program will emphasize the Qualified Nutritionist/CPA+ and CPA’s role in the nutrition assessment and care of high-risk participants. Applying participant-centered skills, communication techniques, critical thinking, setting SMART goals, documenting care plans, and incorporating professional judgment when making decisions on a high-risk participants’ care will all be part of this dynamic 2-day event.
After attending this program, participants will be able to:
- Describe why critical thinking is essential and how to use critical thinking skills for assessing risks, needs, and concerns with high risk participants
- Apply advanced level participant-centered skills while developing a care plan with high risk participants
- Facilitate the development of SMART goals with high risk participants
- Document Individual Care Plans and follow-up to ensure continuity of care
Target Audience: WIC Coordinators, CPA+, Qualified Nutritionist, CPA, DOH Staff
Continuing Education: 12 CPEUs (Level 2), 12 CEUs
*Prerequisite: This is an advanced level training. Attendees must have taken and have basic proficiency in the online trainings, Participant-Centered Communication Skills and Advanced Participant-Centered Communication Skills, and the classroom training, Communication Skills Lab for QN/CPAs. Attendees are also expected to be familiar with the High-Risk Care policy (WPM #1216) and the Nutrition Risk Criteria and Priority System Policy Supplement (WPM#1136).
• Doors will open and sign-in will begin 30 minutes before the training start time.
• Participants that arrive at training by 9:30 AM (or 30 minutes after the official training start time) can make the decision to stay for the training and will receive a certificate of attendance.
• At 9:31 AM (or 31 minutes after the official training start time) the door will be closed and all late participants will be asked to reschedule.
• For your comfort, you may wish to bring a jacket or shawl to the training as it is often difficult to control the temperature in the meeting rooms.
• *If you are pumping and need a lactation space for this off-site training please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com request one or call 518-724-2801, so I may reserve one for you
• Participants must attend all days of a multiple day training in order to receive a certificate of attendance and continuing education credits. If a participant is not able to fulfill this requirement they will need to re-register and re-take the program in its entirety.
• Please note that no food or beverage will be provided