The focus of this one-day training designed specifically for QN/CPAs, is on opening the breastfeeding conversation with pregnant and breastfeeding women. Attendees will develop encouraging key messages to share with pregnant and breastfeeding women. In addition, practicing counselling skills, preparing pregnant women for breastfeeding, building confidence in new mothers, helping moms with common breastfeeding issues such as low milk supply, positioning and latch and supporting breastfeeding when mom and baby are separated are other important areas which will be explored.
By the end of this training, participants will be able to:
- List three reasons why breastfeeding is important
- Describe breastfeeding anticipatory guidance for pregnant women, especially during the third trimester
- Discuss the steps of baby-led breastfeeding
- Identify resources available to help address common concerns mothers may have about breastfeeding
- Describe the skills that can be used when talking with mothers about infant feeding when there are contraindications to breastfeeding
Target Audience: WIC Coordinators, CPA+, Qualified Nutritionist, CPA, Breastfeeding Coordinators, Breastfeeding Peer Counselor Coordinators, DOH Staff
Continuing Education: 6 CPEUs, 6 CEUs, 6 LCERPs
• Doors will open and sign-in will begin 30 minutes before the training start time.
• Participants that arrive at training by 9:30 AM (or 30 minutes after the official training start time) can make the decision to stay for the training and will receive a certificate of attendance.
• At 9:31 AM (or 31 minutes after the official training start time) the door will be closed and all late participants will be asked to reschedule.
• For your comfort, you may wish to bring a jacket or shawl to the training as it is often difficult to control the temperature in the meeting rooms.
• Please bring a state issued photo ID to enter the building
• Please note that no food or beverage will be provided