Determining whether a breast pump is needed, and which breast pump meets a breastfeeding mother’s needs requires QN/CPAs to conduct an assessment using a participant-centered approach. This training is designed for professional staff to understand the role that hand expression and breast pumps play in supporting breastfeeding and which pump is most appropriate based on a mother’s situation. QN/CPAs will learn how to conduct a breast pump assessment, practice participant-centered counselling when issuing a breast pump and explore resources available to support breastfeeding mothers.
By the end of this training, participants will be able to:
- Explain how breast pumps can support breastfeeding
- Describe the importance of teaching hand expression
- Identify key components to conducting a breast pump assessment
- Select the most appropriate breast pump for a breastfeeding woman
- List resources to support breastfeeding mothers when they return to work or school
Target Audience: WIC Coordinators, CPA+, Qualified Nutritionist, CPA, Breastfeeding Coordinators, Breastfeeding Peer Counselor Coordinators, Designated Breastfeeding Expert, DOH Staff
Continuing Education: 6 CPEUs, 6 CEUs, 6 LCERPs
• Doors will open and sign-in will begin 30 minutes before the training start time.
• Participants that arrive at training by 9:30 AM (or 30 minutes after the official training start time) can make the decision to stay for the training and will receive a certificate of attendance.
• At 9:31 AM (or 31 minutes after the official training start time) the door will be closed and all late participants will be asked to reschedule.
• For your comfort, you may wish to bring a jacket or shawl to the training as it is often difficult to control the temperature in the meeting rooms.
• *If you are pumping and need a lactation space for this off-site training please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com to request one or call 518-724-2801, so I may reserve one for you
• Please note that no food or beverage will be provided