This skills lab was developed to maximize time for participant-centered skills practice without didactic/lecture presentations. In this lab, support staff will observe, critique, and practice skills, provide feedback to each other, share learning through discussion, and document learning through a competency self-assessment diary. There will be ample opportunity to reflect on skills, strengths, and areas of development related to participant-centered communication skills including engagement, building rapport, open-ended questions, affirmations, reflective listening, and summarizing.
By the end of this training, trainees will be able to:
- Identify, compare, and contrast skills used in participant-centered tasks through observation
- Develop three strategies using communication skills to address non-verbal communication
- Demonstrate ability to apply participant-centered communication skills to at least three scenarios
- Identify personal strengths and areas of self-improvement
Target Audience: WIC Coordinators, Nutrition Assistants, Clerical/Support Staff, DOH Staff
Mandatory Pre-requisite: Participant-Centered Communication Skills e-course. Course can be found here. This must be completed three weeks prior to the training start date, or your registration will be cancelled and you’ll be asked to reschedule for another date once the prerequisites have been completed.
Continuing Education: 6 CPEUs, 6 CEUs
• Doors will open and sign-in will begin 30 minutes before the training start time.
• Participants that arrive at training by 9:30 AM (or 30 minutes after the official training start time) can make the decision to stay for the training and will receive a certificate of attendance.
• At 9:31 AM (or 31 minutes after the official training start time) the door will be closed and all late participants will be asked to reschedule.
• For your comfort, you may wish to bring a jacket or shawl to the training as it is often difficult to control the temperature in the meeting rooms.
• *If you are pumping and need a lactation space for this off-site training please e-mail email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org to request one or call 518-724-2801, so I may reserve one for you
• Please note that no food or beverage will be provided