In this 1-day training, designed to address needs identified by the 2019 Annual Workforce Needs and Competency Evaluation for Breastfeeding Peer Counselors (PCs), PCs will sharpen their 3-step counseling and documentation skills and examine their own attitudes about breastfeeding and WIC participants. In addition, PCs will understand their scope of practice, how they fit within the WIC team, professionalism, utilizing referrals and resources in the community, and practice using critical thinking skills to optimally manage their caseloads. Basic Training for Peer Counselors modules 1-3 are a required pre-requisite for this training.
As a result of this training, participants will be able to:
- Prioritize and manage their caseloads
- Utilize 3-Step Counseling in an empathetic, nonjudgmental manner
- Identify when to yield and refer
- Document their participant contacts in a professional manner
Mandatory Prerequisite: Basic Training for Peer Counselors modules 1-3 are a required pre-requisite for this training. Participant should NOT register for this training until they’ve completed these 3 modules here on CAI’s LMS.
Target Audience: WIC Coordinators, Breastfeeding Coordinators, Designated Breastfeeding Experts, Breastfeeding Peer Counselor Coordinators, Breastfeeding Peer Counselors
Continuing Education: 6 CPEUs, 6 CEUs
Special Accommodations: Peer Counselors will be permitted to bring nursing babies under 9 months to this training.
• Doors will open and sign-in will begin 30 minutes before the training start time.
• Participants that arrive at training by 9:30 AM (or 30 minutes after the official training start time) can make the decision to stay for the training and will receive a certificate of attendance.
• At 9:31 AM (or 31 minutes after the official training start time) the door will be closed and all late participants will be asked to reschedule.
• For your comfort, you may wish to bring a jacket or shawl to the training as it is often difficult to control the temperature in the meeting rooms.
• *If you are pumping and need a lactation space for this off-site training please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com to request one or call 518-724-2801, so I may reserve one for you
• Please note that no food or beverage will be provided