Talking About Weight: From Ages One to Five
In the past several years, there has been significant research regarding obesity and its impact on health outcomes, both physical and emotional. This one-day training is designed to provide WIC Qualified Nutritionists and Certified Professional Authorities (QNs and CPAs) with an overview of how weight management is key throughout the lifecycle but will primarily focus on the knowledge and skills necessary to provide participant-centered counseling and education to parents, guardians, or caregivers of children ages one to five. This training will also explore how to use key information about obesity risks in a strategic manner utilizing the participant-centered nutrition assessment (PCNA) as the framework. In addition, the role of referrals when more targeted assistance may be needed to support families will be reviewed.
Please note that for this Virtual Training you will need:
- Laptop/Desktop Computer
- Camera (please have your camera turned on, we’d love to see you like we would in a Face to Face training).
- The ability to open PDF’s
- You can download the Free Adobe Reader here.
- Pencil and Paper
You will be given a Zoom link to join the training; this link cannot be shared. All participants must register individually for training.
By the end of this training, trainees will be able to:
- Use risk factors and the impact of obesity on health outcomes to inform counseling and education
- Plan and provide targeted participant-centered education and counseling on weight management
- Develop confidence and competence in utilizing the PCNA to initiate opportunities to talk about weight management in children ages one to five
- Apply the PCNA framework to counsel and set behavioral goals for weight management
Target Audience: WIC Coordinator, CPA+, Qualified Nutritionist, CPA, Breastfeeding Coordinator, Nutrition Coordinator, Site Supervisor, NYS DOH Staff
Continuing Education: 3 CPEUs (Level 2), 3 CEUs