Nutrition Assessment, Education, and Counseling
In this training, the QN/CPA will explore the rationale and skills required to conduct a Participant-Centered Nutrition Assessment (PCNA) as well as the elements and skills required for providing nutrition education and counseling. Strategies and techniques that can be used to engage WIC participants while gathering important mandatory and relevant nutrition and health information will be discussed. Through a series of interactive activities, trainees will review strategies and techniques for using the information gathered from the nutrition assessment to provide education. QN/CPAs will have the opportunity to sharpen their skills through case studies and practice conducting a PCNA and providing nutrition education and counseling.
Please note that for this Virtual Training you will need:
- Laptop/Desktop Computer
- Camera (please have your camera turned on, we’d love to see you like we would in a Face to Face training).
- The ability to open PDF’s
- You can download the Free Adobe Reader here.
- Pencil and Paper
You will be given a Zoom link to join the training; this link cannot be shared. All participants must register individually for training.
By the end of this training, trainees will be able to:
- Explain the rationale for conducting a PCNA
- Demonstrate how to develop rapport to elicit mandatory and relevant information necessary for a nutrition assessment in a participant-centered manner
- Identify and practice at least three communication techniques used to ensure a PCNA
- List the elements to providing nutrition education and counseling
- Describe how to provide education in a participant-centered manner, based on information gathered in the nutrition assessment
- Apply skills to sensitively educate participants on issues and risks
Target Audience: WIC Coordinator, CPA+, Qualified Nutritionist, CPA, Nutrition Coordinator, Site Supervisor, NYS DOH Staff
Continuing Education: 6 CPEUs (Level 2), 6 CEUs