Building Skills for the QN/CPA: Conducting a Breast Pump Assessment
Determining whether a breast pump is needed and which breast pump meets a breastfeeding mother’s needs requires QN/CPAs to conduct an assessment using a participant-centered approach. This training is designed for professional staff to understand the role that hand expression and breast pumps play in supporting breastfeeding and which pump is most appropriate based on a mother’s situation. QN/CPAs will learn how to conduct a breast pump assessment, practice participant-centered counselling when issuing a breast pump, and explore resources available to support breastfeeding mothers.
Please note that for this Virtual Training you will need:
- Laptop/Desktop Computer
- Camera (please have your camera turned on, we’d love to see you like we would in a Face to Face training).
- The ability to open PDF’s
- You can download the Free Adobe Reader here.
- Pencil and Paper
You will be given a Zoom link to join the training; this link cannot be shared. All participants must register individually for training.
By the end of this training, trainees will be able to:
- Explain how breast pumps can support breastfeeding.
- Describe the importance of teaching hand expression.
- Identify key components to conducting a breast pump assessment.
- Select the most appropriate breast pump for a breastfeeding woman.
- List resources to support breastfeeding mothers when they return to work or school.
Target Audience: WIC Coordinator, CPA+, Qualified Nutritionist, CPA, Breastfeeding Coordinator, Breastfeeding Peer Counselor Coordinator, Designated Breastfeeding Expert, Nutrition Coordinator, Site Supervisor, NYS DOH Staff
Continuing Education: 3 CPEUs, 3 CEUs, LCERPs - TBD