Building Skills: Assessing and Counseling Breastfeeding Mothers
Research proves exclusive breastfeeding results in positive health outcomes for mothers and their infants yet far too many breastfeeding infants receive supplementation. WIC is committed to supporting exclusive breastfeeding and reversing this trend. This training will help the CPA understand their vital role in supporting a breastfeeding mother and will practice counselling skills while using the breastfeeding assessment tool.
Please note that for this Virtual Training you will need:
- Laptop/Desktop Computer
- Camera (please have your camera turned on, we’d love to see you like we would in a Face to Face training).
- The ability to open PDF’s
- You can download the Free Adobe Reader here.
- Pencil and Paper
You will be given a Zoom link to join the training; this link cannot be shared. All participants must register individually for training.
By the end of this training, trainees will be able to:
- Define exclusive breastfeeding
- Explain the importance of exclusive breastfeeding
- Use the breastfeeding assessment tool to support discussions with moms around exclusive breastfeeding
- Use core counseling skills when talking to moms about exclusive breastfeeding
- List tips for helping mothers reach the goal of exclusive breastfeeding
Target Audience: WIC Coordinator, CPA+, Qualified Nutritionist, CPA, Breastfeeding Coordinator, Breastfeeding Peer Counselor Coordinator, Nutrition Coordinator, Site Supervisor, NYS DOH Staff
Continuing Education: 3 CPEUs, 3 CEUs, LCERPs - TBD