Breastfeeding…It’s What We Do! Basic Competencies for QN/CPA Staff
The focus of this one-day training designed specifically for QN/CPAs, is on opening the breastfeeding conversation with pregnant and breastfeeding women. Attendees will develop encouraging key messages to share with pregnant and breastfeeding women. In addition, practicing counselling skills, preparing pregnant women for breastfeeding, building confidence in new mothers, helping moms with common breastfeeding issues such as low milk supply, positioning and latch and supporting breastfeeding when mom and baby are separated are other important areas which will be explored.
Please note that for this Virtual Training you will need:
- Laptop/Desktop Computer
- Camera (please have your camera turned on, we’d love to see you like we would in a Face to Face training).
- The ability to open PDF’s
- You can download the Free Adobe Reader here.
- Pencil and Paper
You will be given a Zoom link to join the training; this link cannot be shared. All participants must register individually for training.
At the end of this training, participants will be able to:
- List three reasons why breastfeeding is important
- Describe breastfeeding anticipatory guidance for pregnant women, especially during the third trimester
- Discuss the steps of baby-led breastfeeding
- Identify resources available to help address common concerns mothers may have about breastfeeding
- Describe the skills that can be used when talking with mothers about infant feeding when there are contraindications to breastfeeding
Target Audience: WIC Coordinator, CPA+, Qualified Nutritionist, CPA, Breastfeeding Coordinator, Breastfeeding Peer Counselor Coordinator, Nutrition Coordinator, Site Supervisor, NYS DOH Staff
Continuing Education: 3 CPEUs, 3 CEUs, LCERPs - TBD